Celebration of African Culture
Ujima Radio, Spike Island & Africa Week 2017 at UWE Bristol host evening of performances
Date: Thursday 23 March 2017, 6–9pm
Admission: Free, booking advised
Join us for a celebration of African culture!
This event features a Mavazi ya kanga fashion show by Christelle Pellecuer, music by DJ Style from Ujima, live poetry from Lawrence Hoo, UWE student spoken word and dance, Breathing Fire theatre and African-inspired food.
This event is taking place within the Lubaina Himid exhibition Navigation Charts at Spike Island.
Then from the 27th to 31st of March, UWE invites you to join them for an inspired week of themed celebrations, that challenges, explores and celebrates African heritage. Activities and events include:
- On Monday 27th March we have a Sports day event
- On Tuesday 28th March we screen the acclaimed film ‘A United Kingdom’
- On Wednesday 29th March we have an Educational forum on cultural identity including a panel discussion on ‘does your hair matter’
- On Thursday 30th March we focus on whether mental health is the next big challenge in Africa?
- And on Friday 31st March we climax with a grand Cultural Gala night of great music, tasty food and inspiring entertainment.
Africa Week at UWE Bristol
Many of these events are free, but booking is essential. So to reserve your place or for more details go to www.1.uwe.ac.uk/whatson/africaweek.
More info about event here: Celebration of African Culture